Tuesday, January 3, 2006

More Books

These are a few of the books I've enjoyed the past year in no particular order.

On Writing by Stephen King. I'm not a big follower of King's work but I've always liked every book of his I've read. This one has a chilling chapter describing King being hit by a van. It's a master story teller describing his own near death accident.

Paying the Piper by David Drake. This is a collection of three novellas combined in to a Hammer's Slammers novel. It's a science fiction series about a mercenary tank regiment written by a former Vietnam veteran tanker. It's fun brainless entertainment.

Tishomingo Blues, a book from a few years ago by Elmore Leonard. It's an akward sounding plot, a professional diver mixed up with gangsters from Detroit, the "Dixie Mafia", Civil War reenactors, and it all takes place around the famous crossroads where Robert Johnson sold his soul to the devil. It would be goofy if not for the fact that Elmore Leonard wrote it.

That's it for now. It's late and I've got to get up early. I'm staying in Kingdom City, Missouri on my way home from Denver.

No comments: