Monday, January 9, 2006

Mid-Winter

We’re deep into winter here in Ohio and cabin fever is setting in. There’s snow outside the window. I’m simultaneously helping and increasing the fever by watching Faster. It’s a documentary on the 2001-02 Moto GP race season. It’s a great movie full of human drama and some awesome racing action. I love watching someone ride a motorcycle almost as much as I love riding one myself. I really love to watch people who are the best at what they do doing what that thing is. Moto GP is the top of motorcycle racing so these guys are the best. I’m getting excitied to ride now. I had a few opportunities to ride in Denver over Christmas but couldn’t bring myself to get out and do it. It was a little chilly but usuallly weather doesn’t bother me, although sometimes it’s all the difference between going for a ride or not. So I go through varing degrees of enthusiasm for riding. I always love to ride but sometimes it’s just harder for me to get on the bike. Right now I’m feeling pretty enthusiastic, I’m hoping Arkansas (where I’m headed next) will have some warm days. I’m not too familiar with that area so I’m not sure what it’ll be like in January or February.

I’m feeling excited because I returned home to a few issues of Motorcyclist and Cycle World magazines. The February issue of Motorcyclist had a picture of the new Yamaha V Max. I’m glad to say the new V Max is a fitting evolution for the original. I have a 97 model which is virtually the same model as a 1985 model, which is virtually the same as a 2005 model. In the bikes 20 year history only minor changes have been made over the years and it shows. It’s still the most fun motorcycle to ride but it’s a little scary to be riding on 20 year old technology. I would compare riding my FZ1 to the V Max like the difference between a steel rollercoaster and a wooden one. The V Max vibrates and shimmies in turns while the FZ1 handles like it’s on rails. I hope Yamaha keeps the awe inspiring V four motor in the original V Max. The torque is incredible. In an original review from 1985 a Motorcyclist writer said while riding the V Max he saw Jesus so many times he started using him as a braking marker. That line always cracks me up and I’ve taken to stealing it for my own use.

No comments: