Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Hotel Living

I have a sick, sad confession to make. I was sliding my Hormel Salisbury Steak (with sliced potatoes & gravy) dinner into the microwave when a random thought struck. I had just taken my shower after getting home from work. I was still wrapped in a towel and thanks to the intimate (some would say cramped) living quarters of my hotel room I had to take about eight steps from the bathroom to the mini-fridge to the microwave to get dinner ready. I was hit with the realization that I love hotel living. For some odd, almost sad reason, I look forward to crappy microwave meals, laying on a lumpy mattress watching a t.v. with no contrast control and way too much contrast. I love Lisa more than I love breathing or my motorcycle but I love being in a motel room by myself too. I'm not sure what this says about me. I don't know if this is the cause or effect of the job. All I know is I would feel uncomfortable living in a house too much bigger than 1800 square feet. My house is a duplex and my place is about the size of a two bedroom apartment. It's perfect.

There's a gratifying feeling of being protected from the outside by a hotel. I know for security reasons the hotel with access from inside is safer but I'm partial to the motel because I like to sit with the door open on a cool sunny day or during a spring shower. You're in your room but outside is right there. It's all very exhilarating

It will sound lazy perhaps but I love the fact that someone will come in and make your bed and bring you fresh towels every day. It's like being royalty. To be honest I can't think of any drawbacks except that sometimes a hotel won't have AV jacks for me to plug the X Box into the t.v. Or they won't have high speed internet. That doesn't happen too often though, hell even truck stops have wireless internet these days. There's just no excuse for not having it. Lisa actually likes staying in hotels too, maybe that's one of the reasons we are compatible. She gets bored after awhile though. I can't really blame her. She is normal after all.

4 comments:

Bryce said...

You're like a research cat that has come to love the cage. Fortunately, you can be deprogrammed. Put down the hormel and come home to the panini. We still love you.

Brian said...

Mmmm! The panini.

My Boring Best said...

Good post. It's funny; I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

Sometimes when I'm driving on a highway and see a hotel off to the side, I just wanna check in for no reason. It's like an escape for me from everything.

By the way, I've added a link to your blog from mine, in my sidebar. If that's not okay, just lemme know.

See you later.

Brian said...

Thanks Jim. I suspect there are other freaks like me out there. Most of the guys I work with mostly.

Thanks for linking, I'm flattered.