Monday, January 9, 2006

New Cynical Post

Let me see if I've got this straight. The avian flu may or may not turn into a "pandemic". The experts can't agree on this (you can't even get a consensus from the same person). I have heard more than one "expert" claim that a pandemic is inevitable, it is only a matter of time. Of course they always include the disclaimer that the bird flu may or may not be that pandemic. You have to ask yourself why the big deal now. According to the CDC website the flu has been infecting people as far back as 1997. Granted that's not even ten years but no one has cared until the past year or so. There have been 140 cases of humans with the disease and "a few cases of human to human spread". The world's population is 6,484,988,327. Who can tell me what the percentage of cases is? Anyone? No seriously, I'm asking. I'm lousy at math and my calculator is tit's up. Anyway, I'm betting it's a very small number. While I'm sure the family member's who lost someone to bird flu don't find it amusing (and I'm not making light of their loss, or trying not to) I'm not sure I see the panic. I'm going to throw a few crack pot theories out there just for fun. Bush is pushing it to take focus off of his failed... well everything he's done. Another one (from my brother, no less) is Donald Rumsfeld is in cahoots with the drug companies like he was back in the seventies during the BIG swine flu epidemic. Or it's just a case of those wacky old whipping boys, the press running something into the ground. I'd have to check but I bet the stories on avian flu, like stories about prostitution rings, goes up during sweeps week. Take your pick, I personally think it's the Rosicrucians. Off on a tagent, I'd just like to point out that my brother used to be level headed but is slowly becoming a crazier conspiracy theory nut than I am. Good for you Bryce.

So what conclusions can we draw? None, it's just another case of all a bunch of bullshit.

No comments: