Saturday, March 21, 2009

An Aerial Tour Of My Youth

Dad and Mom recently took a drive through Martinsville Indiana. I did some of my growing up in that area. It's not far from Bloomington, a fact I like to mention when I want to sound cool, John Mellencamp was practically our neighbor (although I'm not sure he was living there around the time we were).

I decided to check out the old neighborhood on Google Maps. Very little had changed on our block. I would like to get back there some day and see it from ground level. In the map you can see the old bridge and the creek I used to ride my bike up in the summer. It's at the top of the map. I don't remember there being that many houses across the street.

Our house was the middle one between Barbra St and Oliver Ct. The corn field across the street is still there.

Who would have thought that looking at a satellite photo would make you nostalgic.


View Larger Map

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I spent a lot of time in that field playing football and baseball. What a long time ago that was.

Bryce said...

All those houses north of Liberty Church Rd. are new, aren't they? I thought there was like... one big farmhouse there before. (Where Brent made himself sick on persimmons, right?)

And the banks of the creek look way more manicured now -- looks like grass in fact. Wasn't it all brambly and trees back then?

Man, the neighborhood looks small. I'm glad to see it's still there though. Doesn't look all that different from the way I remember it.

Brent you should mark the map with all the places you spilled blood..

Brian said...

I think you're right about the creek being more manicured. I think that field on the east side of the road is pretty much the same though. If you scroll up toward Martinsville you can George's farm (our bus driver). And it looks like the put in an industrial park toward town. The high school is just like I remember it. I could write up a whole other entry about that map and the memories it brings back.

Anonymous said...

I see Bret Brummets old house, which one would be Andy Hamilton? What about Ricky and Richie?

Brian said...

Ricky's house is the one with the two buildings right behind our old place. His house is behind Peggy Dahl's. Brad and Chad Brown's is the one on the corner of Oliver and Liberty Loop. I'm not sure but I think Ritchey and Joy's house is the third one west on Don's Drive.

For Andy Hamilton's house you have to go to the corners of Jordan Road and Old Highway 37 and head southwest towar the old Hillview Hotel (remember we stayed there when we moved into town). Andy was one of those houses on the south side of the road.

I could spend hours looking at that map. As a matter of fact I just borde Lisa with a detailed tour.