Friday, March 31, 2006

Illegal Immigration

The crises du jour seems to be illegal immigration. The people supporting the illegal immigrants feel that they do the work we US citizens are too pampered to do. This opinion is especially true in California. My opinion (just an uneducated one) is that just isn't true. I think we risk creating two classes, of course this isn't provable. However, I know that when I was working around Avon and Vail, Colorado there was a trailer park the size of a small town outside Edwards Colorado full of Mexican Americans. It was obvious they were the cooks, waiters, houskeepers and grocery store employees that were keeping the resorts running. In the cities it was July but still white as snow. I'm not saying the people in the trailer park were all illegal or that they had a bad life but this segregation always chafed me a little.

The notion that whites won't do the work doesn't seem to hold true to me either. If that were the case, nothing would get done in my hometown. There are very few immigrants (illegal or otherwise) there and the hotel rooms still get cleaned. I know I run the risk of being labeled a racist. I don't think everyone for non-residents is a shady contractor or Hollywood mom looking for a nanny, and I don't believe everyone concerned about the illegals is a xenophobe. Of course Bush's work permit thing was tried already back in the forties I believe. During World War II there wasn't enough labor in the US so a deal was made with Mexico to allow workers in the country. I can't remember the details but I understand it was a sucess. So who knows. I really don't care either way on this issue. Just like everything else that people blow out of proportion there is a middle ground that's the most benefical for the most people. Too bad I don't know what the anwer is.

No comments: