Wednesday, March 29, 2006

First Official Day Of Spring

It was a glorious day today. Every year, for as long as I can recall, I have a special day that signifies the beginning of spring (for me anyway). I can't explain what makes that day special. It's usually the first really warm day. I usually notice the buds on trees and the grass getting green. I had to make a run for some parts at work and while driving to Home Depot spring officially began. It's always a bitter sweet occasion. I feel great but I'm reminded that I'm not in high school. One of the first Spring Days for me was in high school. It was the tenth grade and I had a class with just three students in it. The teacher was also the girls' softball coach. One day the three of us went with the teacher to set up the field for that night's game. We rode around getting gear and laying down the lime for the baselines. Plus it was the first time I heard "Take It On The Run" by REO Speedwagon. I'm showing my age and lameness here but that was the song that defined the summer for me. That used to be another element to Spring Day. A new song. Today I had to settle for "classic rock". I don't really look back with nostalgia. I'm at my optimum age right now. I was a mess from about 20 up to 35 or so. Spring Day is one of those days when I do get a little misty eyed at the past. I wish I wasn't so old that my knees hurt when climbing out of the truck or that I grunt when I bend over to tie my shoes. And I wish I wasn't so old that all my favorite bands were still around. I miss the excitement of new music in the spring. Back before the marketing wizards decided when an album would be released you could count on Van Halen releasing an album every May. Followed by a summer of Foreigner, ZZ Top and Cheap Trick. I wish I could feel the thrill of hearing "Let's Get It Up" by AC/DC for the first time again. I remember where I was the first time I heard it. As glad as I am when spring comes, I'm glad it only comes once a year.

No comments: