Thursday, February 2, 2006

Zen And The Art Of Motorcycle Riding

It's still winter. I'm reading the February issue of MotorCyclistmagazine and it's having the same affect on me as the movie Faster did a few weeks ago. There is a great series of articles about dream bikes and the Barber Motorsports Park in Leeds, Alabama. I would love to ride there on track day sometime but would be too intimidated. My riding abilities are strictly street. I think my best riding was in 2003 during a job I had at Camp Hale in Colorado. Camp Hale is in the mountains between Vail and Leadville. There is a twisty stretch of road (US 24) that climbs from Vail at approximately 8000 Ft to Leadville at over 10,000 Ft. It's a fairly scary road in parts with long drops to the canyon floor below. I would ride the thirty miles at least three times a week. I came to know how fast I could go in the straight aways and when to start breaking. There are two sharp, nicely banked horse shoe turns that I learned to master until I could scrape the pegs. Then I started riding State Rt 131. It had more curves per mile by far than US 24. The second weekend I rode it I was pushing like I never had. I'll never forget that ride. I can't think of any time in my life that I've been that exhilarated. I was literally laughing out loud several times. It was a moderately cool day but I was sweating and grunting from the exertion. As I came down out of the hills I pulled onto a flat stretch of ground and started to slow down and it reminded me of pulling in to the end of a roller coaster ride. I did something I've never done before, I cried. Yes, I've cried before but I've never been moved to tears from joy. It sounds corny but it was the most pure feeling I've ever had. I also met Lisa on that job at Camp Hale. 2003 will go in my history books as my best year to date.

Several years ago I was diagnosed with "clinical depression". After a particularly severe bout of depression, a few things happened that changed my life. I determined that the counselor I had was fruitier than I was and I started riding in earnest. I'm not suggesting that this is the cure for everyone but I know it worked for me. I haven't cried from joy since that time in Colorado but some of the happiest times I've had are while I've been locked away inside my helmet and myself.

No comments: