Friday, February 24, 2006

WTC Conspiracy

I was checking out My Boring Best by a fellow I know as Jim from Cleveland. I always enjoy reading his blog, as I've mentioned before. I feel honored that he's added me to the list of blogs he has on his site. I think we are slightly different in our political views but I've never held that against anyone because as my brothers will tell you no one shares my political views, except that guy who stands on the corner in San Francisco yelling profanities at himself and wearing the "Will wrestle for beer" sign. Anyway. Jim had a link to a conspiracy theory film on the events of 9/11. I have to say watching it made me, in turns, sick, angry, amazed and baffled that anyone would give any of this bull shit a moments serious consideration. Let's forget for a moment that an operation of this size would require hundreds, if not thousands of people (government employees, no less) keeping their mouths shut and go over the crap these guys are spewing. For a better argument than I'm about to give check out the March 2005 issue of Popular Mechanics if you can find it.

The film opens like one of those The Truth.com ads. A youthful voice reads a declassified document from some crack pot general in the 60's. It's full of lame-brained ideas on ways to start a war with Cuba. The voice then reveals the general's ideas were rejected by his boss MacNamara and Kennedy personally removed him from his position on the Joint Chiefs of Staff. So far we've learned that there is a limit to how crazy a person in government can be.

The film goes along slickly quoting a witness here, showing letters from "experts" there but offers nothing substantial. Most of it doesn't raise to the level of hearsay. You have to ask yourself what is the underlying motive of the people making this film and perpetuating this myth. One guy disagreeing with his colleagues doesn't necessarily make that guy a brave lone wolf. He could just be a self-serving dolt. You know the type, a guy with an ego that demands attention, the contrarian.

I could go on trying to refute everything they say but this would be a pretty long post. I obviously wasn't there so I won't bother contradicting the "expert" testimony of a janitor. There is one area I feel safe addressing. The film spends a great deal of time trying to make the argument that there were demolition charges placed in the World Trade Towers. If there's one thing I'm familiar with, it's explosives. I was on the bomb squad in the Air Force, and I've been an explosives technician as a civilian for a total of 20 years. Of course you don't have to be an expert to wonder where the HUGE quantity of explosives required to bring the buildings down were hidden. A building rigged for demolition by implosion is covered in explosives, with detonation cord running everywhere. It's a very precise operation requiring a specific set of steps to be followed with exact timing. The explosives wouldn't be setting in a fire of that intensity for more than an hour (the time before the buildings collapsed) without going off.

They want you to believe a cruise missile struck the Pentagon but mention witnesses smelling cordite. Having blown up both I can safely say there is no cordite smell from cruise missiles, so which is it, demolitions or a missle? The audacity to suggest that a US citizen would fire a cruise missile at other US citizens sickens me. Goddamn, I'm getting madder just typing this. If people stopped and seriously considered what these ass-holes are suggesting I don't see how any sane person can believe it.

Ass-holes.

2 comments:

My Boring Best said...

Hey,

Good post. It's cool that you've got a little insight into this stuff from a professional point of view.

Yeah. To me the video is mostly bullshit, as well. What I don't like is that he is making huge assumptions and then providing very little evidence for them. After doing so, he acts as if he has just proven something, when he hasn't at all.

The only part that I wonder about - and believe me, I'm not saying I believe his take on it - is the part about the Pentagon. It has always seemed to me like evidence was hidden in what happened there. Like I said, I don't buy his version. However, the government actually never has released those three views of the incoming plane, and I've always wondered why.

That said, I'm not going to make the leap that we shot a missle at our Pentagon. That's asinine. However, I do think there's something missing from what we do know on that one.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by my blog and keep doing so!

Brian said...

Hey Jim,

As much as it pains me, I have to admit that there wasn't much plane debris there. You know how the government is. They would keep a recipe for chocolate cake a secret for no other reason then that they can.

I'll definitely keep stopping by the blog. Thanks for reading and posting here as well.