Thursday, July 21, 2005

Purgatory

I'm sitting in the hotel here in Patterson, waiting to leave tomorrow. Most of the packing is done. The only thing left is to figure out a load plan for my motorcycle. I've got about two motorcycles worth of stuff. I'll need a leather jacket for part of the trip. For most of it though I'll be riding through the Nevada desert. I'll have this big hot leather jacket I'll have to figure out what to do with. I'll have a back pack to carry the computer in, that has me nervous. I don't want to end up buying another computer. At what temperature does a hard drive melt? It's still under warranty though. It's these thoughts that keep me sitting around in a blue funk a day or so before I leave on a trip. I worry about things I may have forgotten about or things I should take care of before I leave but don't. I had my motorcycle stand propped up in the corner of the hotel room and almost forgot to ship it out. It's 3 feet tall for crying out loud. Now I'm worrying that the tires will wear out half way there. For a car it's not too big a deal but last year by the time I got to Jackson Wyoming from Denver Colorado the steel cords were showing. There was one motorcycle place in town, who lucky for me, had tires that fit.

Then there's the sadness of leaving an area you like for the unknown. Lisa and I were really looking forward to visiting San Francisco and Yosemite again. We are leaving "our" theater in Modesto behind. We've made some happy memories here in just a month's time. Chalk that up to having the right companion.

I'm also sitting here anticipating the ride. I've checked my route about four times on Mapquest. I literally read maps for entertainment. Something I must have picked up from Dad and only exacerbated by the motorcycle. I love riding around town but it's the all too infrequent long distance trips I really enjoy. I'm anticipating the lunch at some truck stop in the middle of nowhere (or more likely a Taco Bell in some dinky town). I love to collect miles on the odometer. I also thrill to the thought of the unknown. I haven't heard many good things about Dugway from the people that have been but my standards aren't necessarily lower, I'm just lower maintenance than most. I'm picturing a dirty old desert town like Rutger Hauer might hide out in. The only low point is Lisa might not be able to join me. If not I'll still see her every weekend.

So there you have it. I drift between anxiety and excitement. Fortunately I have a 12 pack of Budweiser that needs drinking this afternoon.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Thanks Gary. I've had those gastronomical road disasters too. There was a White Castle just south of Columbus that kept me in distress all the way to Huntsville Alabama.