Saturday, July 16, 2005

A Moment Of Irrational Fear


Lisa and I went to New York City in June. It was her first time there and my first time to go to the top of the Empire State Building. I don't have a fear of heights normally, if I stop to think about where I am though I sometimes get a little panic sweat going. The top of the building was fun but a few times the images of 9/11 would flash through my mind. We took the fire escape down three levels to avoid the line for the elevator and that's when it really struck me. For some reason I was thinking of the people running down the fire escapes in the World Trade Towers and the firemen running up. There's a marine who blogs to Flikr from Iraq. I check his site often but was unable to since May. There were a lot of new photos after the battle of Ubaydi. They were pictures of his fallen comrades. Several family members post comments as a means of communication. Needless to say there were a lot of heartbreaking and beautiful posts from family members and fellow Marines. The word hero gets thrown around for everything these days and I'm not going to use it now but if you look at the pictures of these guys clowning around and posing with children you have to admire their bravery and humility in the face of the situation they've found themselves in.

No comments: