Wednesday, July 20, 2005

If You Really Loved Me You Would Foward This To Fifty Friends

I have several friends (several for me being about five) that I care for and a few people I'm indifferent to who flood my Yahoo email account. Sometimes the emails they send are pretty entertaining and sometimes they are mildly annoying. Not everyone does it. I also don't mind receiving one every once in awhile, but there were six of them from one guy on Monday morning all sent at about the same time. I wonder if he even read them himself or he just sits there like an old lady at the slot machines, hitting the forward button over, eyes glazed over, the light from the computer display shining off his face. Don't get me wrong. I really don't mind it. These are usually the people that are staying in touch for the most part. The mass forwarder from Monday never writes back when I send him a personal email, I think he's just a contact collector. That's okay too though, I guess it's nice to have an email in the inbox.

My favorites are the chain letters that end with a guilt trip, as in the title of this post. I never forward anything unless it's really amusing (to me, which is very subjective). So I should be one dead SOB. Did you realize your descendants could be cursed for all eternity if you don't forward the one about the farmer's daughter? I didn't. My current favorite is one about the Sheriff of Maricopa County. You might remember him. He's the guy that took t.v. out of the jail and created a tent jail to house the inmates. One of my favorite quotes is about the tent city.

"It feels like we are in a furnace," said James Zanzot, an inmate who has lived in the tents for 1 year. "It's inhumane."

"Joe Arpaio, the tough-guy sheriff who created the tent city and long ago started making his prisoners wear pink, and eat bologna sandwiches, is not one bit sympathetic He said Wednesday that he told all of the inmates: "It's 120 degrees in Iraq and our soldiers are living in tents too, and they have to wear full battle gear, but they didn't commit any crimes, so shut your damned mouths!"'

"Way to go, Sheriff! Maybe if all prisons were like this one there would be a lot less crime and/or repeat offenders. Criminals should be punished for their crimes - not live in luxury until it's time for their parole, only to go out and commit another crime so they can get back in to live on taxpayers money and enjoy things taxpayers can't afford to have for themselves."


While I'm not sympathetic in any way to criminals and very pro military, I've also seen Lock Up on MSNBC and I'm pretty sure anyone living in prison is not living in the lap of luxury no matter how much t.v. they have. It's funny given my conservative bent that my friends send me these crazy emails that even I have a hard time with. Still I love getting it. So if anyone has a crazy theory on center of the earth colonies (Bryce, I'm looking at you) forward them on. I promise to pass them on to fifty of my friends.

No comments: