Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Mac Attack!

Sorry about the lame title.

I just got a new iBook. I'm pretty excited. I got it with a dvd burner, blue tooth and airport. The only one I need is the airport. Most hotels are going that way. Now I have to get a bluetooth capable phone, keyboard, mouse and every other gadget, and a HD video camera and...well maybe not right now. I'm loving OS X 10.4 Tiger. It's full of these colorful, shiny little distracting gadgets called widgets. Their sole purpose seemingly to draw attention to their prettiness, oh and they'll tell you the temperature, the time and the day of the week too. I'm a mid-level Mac geek. I used to know a lot more about the functions and features but that kind of ended with OS 7.something. After that I had a basic list of things I could have been doing on a much cheaper PC, but I love Macs. The Tiger is (like the prior OS 10 releases) elegant, non-obtrusive and pretty simple. I'm looking forward to taking some time and getting to know Tiger. I might even dust off Simcity.


In other news I've seen that congress has snuck in the Real ID Act in a appropriations bill for 80 billion dollars for Iraq. What this means to you is that law abiding citizens at the very least will be subjected to a whole slew of new bureaucratic red tape at the DMV. The states will once again bear the cost for a federally mandated program and the terrorists will continue ignoring the laws of civilized man. The plan will require you to provide a photo i.d. to get the national card. Where do you get one of those? I don't know about you but the only photo i.d. I've ever had was a driver's license. Can't that be forged? Am I over reacting? Maybe. Maybe I'm just worried for the coming generations of youth unable to buy their first beer with a fake i.d.