Sunday, December 4, 2005

Torture Is...

This is from Rueters story about the stir Congessman John Murtha created a few weeks ago: "Murtha has said Iraq cannot be won militarily and the United States must withdraw to send a signal to Iraqis that they are 'free from the United States occupation.'

Murtha's opposition broadened a partisan divide in Washington and prompted the Republican-led House of Representatives to engineer a vote on Friday on a resolution to pull U.S. troops immediately from Iraq."

This is from a completely different Rueters story: "Talabani told a news conference his country was not under foreign occupation and it would be a disaster if U.S. forces left the country too soon.

'Those in Iraq now are foreign forces under a UN Security Council resolution and with the consent of the legitimate government,' he said."

Talabani is the President of Iraq by the way. Maybe it's time for our leaders to start working with the Iraq leadership. Like it or not their concerns and well being are ours now too. I hate to sound like a cheerleader for a war. I'm not, but I hope we don't pull out too soon otherwise the whole thing will have been a wasted effort and the troops's deaths really will have been in vain.

I wrote all that crap at the time it was happening and wasn't going to put it on the blog. I'm trying to write about enjoyable stuff. I gave up arguing politics at work a long time ago, it just got me worked up but now my old buddy Law & Order has turned on me. L & O always dabbled in political stuff but the past few months they have really been raising my ire. First some goofy "illegals in a box" slam on the Minutemen and then tonight, ripped from the headlines "torture at Gitmo". When did loud music, bright lights and sleep deprivation become torture? We all got a big laugh in 1989 when armored vehicles were blasting Krokus at Manuel Noriega, it was televised after all. I hate to also sound like a cheerleader for torture but we better define the differences between torture and interrogation before we pc ourselves right to HELL!!! Sorry, that was just for dramatic effect.

No comments: