Friday, December 9, 2005

On To The Next State

I left Texas early this morning bound for Albuquerque, New Mexico. I just went one state over and it took me 11 hours! Texas is big. It was also friendly. Almost every car I came up on would pull off the road on to the shoulder to let me pass. I saw it the entire time I was there. Once you get into the cities though all bets are off. They are darting everywhere.

A few signs caught my attention. In Brownwood Texas I saw a billboard for Underwood's Cafeteria with the promise of hot rolls and cobbler. I 'm thankful to be living in a world with cobbler and hot rolls. Then in Union Texas on a gas stop I saw a curious sign next to the toilet. It read, "Please don't flush tissue paper down the toilet". I was perplexed to say the least. I thought maybe tissue paper was a local term for something else but couldn't imagine what it might be. Well I asked the girl behind the counter and sure enough, due to the poor water flow the owner didn't want anyone flushing toilet paper down the john. I was glad I didn't have business to attend.

The trip was good. It was an opportunity to do some travelling that I don't usually get to do. I went almost completely on back roads. It had it's pros and cons. I got to see a lot of stuff like Buddy Holly Square in Lubbock which you can get to via Mac Davis Lane. Lubbock seems to be a musical town. It was also a looong trip across a whole lot of nothing at times.

All in all it was a good time, I love driving across the country. It always puts me in a positive frame of mind to see the greatness of the country we live in. I also get to eat a lot of junk food.

No comments: