Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year

Christmas 2005

It has been a good holiday season so far. I’ve been spending it with Lisa and her family in Littleton Colorado. It’s been fun and relaxing. I’ve slowed down and done some things I haven’t done in awhile. I’ve read a book and am half way through another one right now. I haven't really read a lot in the last few years. I love to read but seem to put it off for other pursuits, like the XBox or wall staring. I’m glad I’ve gotten back into it. I read “The Pleasure of My Company” by Steve Martin. I’ve always loved everything Steve Martin does ever since I got “One Wild and Crazy Guy” on a vinyl disc way back in the seventies. I remember being a little too young (or naive) to stay up on Saturday Nights to see him hosting Saturday Night Live. I actually started liking him because of the song King Tut. I bought the album when I was probably around thirteen and didn’t get a lot of the humor but that didn’t stop me from stealing his routine and doing it in the caferteria during lunch. That’s right, I was the proverbial little fat boy repeating comedy bits for attention. I knew it was sad even at the time but one day I made milk fly out of Paul Clark’s nose so I didn’t care that it was wrong. I was a lunch room, well I was going to say God, and maybe in my mind I was but we know the sad truth. It was still fun though.

Anyway, you get the picture, I like Steve Martin and will see him in anything, which unfortunately means sitting through Cheaper by the Dozen. I think Bonnie Hunt is a genius too, so what went so horribly wrong?

At least his books are great. I loved "Shopgirl" and "The Pleasure of My Company" is almost as good. It’s genuis in parts. Steve Martin has a big brain (he actually had two of them once) and can really turn a phrase. The book is full of stuff like, “My plan was to walk by on my side of the street and not look over her way. This, I felt, was a very clever masculine move: to meet and ultimately seduce through no contact at all. She would be made aware of me as a mysterious figure, someone with no need of her whatsoever. This is compelling to a woman.” He has deftly captured my previous dating techniques. I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again, thank God for Lisa.

The story is short at 163 pages and a little uneven at times. The ending is abrupt and feels a little forced but it’s a great book that I would recommend to anyone who likes Steve Martin or character driven stories with happy endings.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

3 comments:

Bryce said...

Ah, I have many fond memories of your 'King Tut' performances. And looking at this, I wonder if this all somehow ties in with your bizarro Luke Skywalker/white wardrobe obsession...

Brian said...

I think you might be on to something. It continued right on through Miami Vice as you well know.

Brian said...

Thanks A,

I'm reading Wicked: the Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West right now and would recommend that was well. I'm totally with you on the books on tape (or CD) thing. I hate "wacky" morning DJs.