Monday, July 13, 2009

Iron Butt

I really don't have much to write about. I just have made an entry in awhile. I'm currently contemplating making an Iron Butt Rally run. It's a long distance endurance motorcycle ride. Most of the guys that do it frequently ride comfortable sort tourers or luxury cruisers, like BMWs or Goldwings. I will probably end up permanently cripple myself on the FZ1 but I would get a certificate and a license plate frame so it would totally be worth it. The goal would be to get from Denver Colorado to Chicago Illinois in under 24 hours, which by my math is plenty of time. I could even stop for a few decent rest breaks and a sleep stop somewhere along the way.

Denver to Chicago isn't the specific route you're required to take it just works out to the Iron Butt Association's requirements for the Saddle Sore 1000 ride. From Denver to Chicago is 1000 miles according to Google Maps. You could also do a straight line out 500 miles, turn around and conclude at the thousand mile mark at your point of origination.

I'm a big fan of pushing yourself sometimes. That's not to say I climb mountains every weekend or anything that challenging. I might do something once every couple of years where at the end I think, "I should do more stuff like that" and then don't do more stuff like that at all. I just like the idea to take an occasional challenge. This one is a pretty low stress challenge. If I don't think I can make it, I quit and go home. No one knows but me. Of course I know once I start I wouldn't be satisfied if I did that. About the furthest I've travelled on the bike is 500 in about 12 hours back when I rode it from Oceanside, California to Zanesville, Ohio. That was a long rough day and I was seven years younger.

Now that I've got this particular idea in my head I think it's only a matter of time so stay tuned.

No comments: