Thursday, April 23, 2009

John Glenn

Today was a pretty great day. I was ten feet from a living American legend. John Glenn came through the airport today. Several of us waited to greet him and his wife as they were coming through the airport. Having grown up 7 miles from his home town (his cousin's wife was my fifth grade teacher) he's always been a hero of mine. As we walked him through the airport it started to dawn on me how star struck I was. I've seen a few celebrities in my time but I've never really cared to approach them . I was giddy as a school girl to just be near him. Mr. Glenn and his wife, Annie, had come out to Colorado Springs for a vacation and to tour the Air Force Academy. On the return trip the 87 year old former Astronaut and Senator made a quick pass through the airport. He is in amazing shape for an 87 year old. They made polite small talk with the TSA screeners and got on to the gate.

I couldn’t get over the notion of being that close to the first American to orbit the earth. He’s done so many amazing things in his time. I was pretty excitied the whole day and most of the next one.

1 comment:

Brent said...

Glad to hear things are picking up.