Sunday, April 26, 2009

Current Events

Today, as you can see by the automated date stamp, is Sunday April 26th. From time to time I like to write down what’s going on in the world as a record and to put it into perspective with my own life. Right now the big thing seems to be the Mexican Swine Flu concern. It’s not too big yet but has the potential to get there. I’ve been making fun of health experts for years about this. They’ve been predicting a pandemic for as long as I can remember. You can almost see the excitement in their eyes when they talk about it. A quick look at the past pandemics shows that I’ve lived through two so I’m not panicking yet. The outbreak of swine flu in 1976 wasn’t really a pandemic I guess. One soldier died in New Jersey and a handful of people got sick. It sounds like more people died from the inoculation. I’m not being glib about it however, the health officials could be on to something finally, even a broke clock is right twice a day.

On the personal front, Lisa’s sister came to visit for the weekend. They had a good time and I worked. We also had a friend we hadn’t seen in several years over last night. She used to be married to a good friend of mine and it was odd to see her without him. It was hard to get used to.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is on a middle East peace tour. She’s been to Iraq and Lebanon so far.

Golden Girl and Maude star Bea Arthur passed away yesterday.

Heidi and Spencer got married. This last bit comes from the entertainment headlines on my Yahoo homepage. I have no idea who either of them is. All I know is they are this new generation of celebrity that’s come around since the internet. The kind where someone like myself (doesn’t follow that kind of stuff) is aware of them even though I don’t know what they do or who they are. Through the little two line blurb on E! Online I’m getting their life story. I’ll bet I find out when Heidi gets pregnant too. I don’t even know their last names.

Lisa is getting ready to start a temp job on Monday. It’s suppose to last through September, which will be nice. We received our tax refund and we’re slowly getting caught up on all of the moving expenses from last year. I am looking forward to tomorrow off as I plan on searching out a new hobby store to replace my beloved, Mark Twain Hobbies.

No comments: