Monday, June 9, 2008

A Little Book Review



I've been trying to write once a night if I can help it. Not much has been going on so I thought I would write a small review, a reviewette, of a book I'm currently reading. I haven't finished the book yet but it's that kind of book that you really don't have to finish to review if that makes sense. It's called Orphan's Journey by Robert Buettner, and it's the third book in a series about an intergalactic war between humans and bug like aliens "slugs" It's science fiction that has been compared to Robert Heinlein a lot. I guess because of the vague resemblance to Starship Troopers. It's like that book in that the hero wears an armored combat suit but the similarities grow a little thin after that. It feels a little like Heinlein's line of books for adolescents in that it could be written for children (particularly teenage boys) but would fit as an adult book. I think it's aimed at adults actually but is one I would have enjoyed more as a boy. In brief it's about a soldier from about the year 2078 or there about. Through a series of slightly improbable events he finds himself and his friends trapped on a planet with dinosaurs, humans and the slugs. It's written by a former soldier and you get the impression that he's happy to be living the dream of writing. The story is likable enough with just enough violence for a teen boy to enjoy but not enough to shock or horrify a parent. So far it's a nice little diversion or summer book.

No comments: