Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Trip Prep

I spent some more time thinking about the trip today.  A few more things I would like to do:

  1. Get my DSLR camera cleaned professionally.  It might even be time for a new lens.  Along with that a waterproof camera bag might be handy.
  2. Get a GPS.  This one is a maybe.  I've wanted one for a long time.  The Garmin zumo 350LM looks pretty sweet.  I don't understand why a motorcycle GPS is so much more than a straight auto one.  The GPS is not a necessity although it would be way handy since I plan on taking as many back roads as I can.
  3. Serious planning.  I've got Insight Guide United States: On The Road, which I have used very little since I bought it.  I'm sure it will get more use in the coming months.  I'm also going to be spending a great deal of time on the Adventure Rider Motorcycle forum.  These guys are hard core.
  4. I think I'm good on riding gear.  I have a one piece rain suit that gets awful hot but it's serviceable and riding gear is freaking expensive.  All I need is a pair of waterproof boots.
Then I started going a little nuts.  When I thought of the camera I thought one of those little video cameras would be neat, like a Go Pro.  Then a heated vest, a bluetooth capable helmet and basically everything but a cup holder.  I quickly got hold of myself and pulled it in some.

I did decide that I might save as much leave time as possible and go longer than the two or three weeks I had initially planned on.  Man, I'm excited!

No comments: