Wednesday, September 18, 2013

A Change Of Plans (ALREADY!)

I was looking at the intended route for the ride and discovered that the mileage for a trip around the perimeter of the United States is about 10,000 miles.  I'm not so much worried about the distance as the time.  I have a pretty generous vacation plan but I think three weeks will be the maximum I care to be away from home.  I was looking at the map of the U.S. and noticing how much vast emptiness there is in a lot of it.  I got to thinking that maybe I should try a little more focus.  I've always wanted to ride my bike down to Key West so I decided to aim for there.  I started calculating in times and distances and thought I would throw in some spots I haven't been but always wanted to go and some spots I have been to but wanted to revisit.


View Larger Map

The plan is to stick to back roads and State routes as much as possible.  I want to go through the swamps and backwaters.  I'll still be making use of the guide books and AAA but I don't want anything to do with the interstates.

I've also already been tweaking this plan.  I originally had the Memphis/Savannah leg of the trip as the starting route.  The more I thought about it the more I don't relish going through Kansas at the end of a trip, gotta get that stretch of dullness out of the way early.

Well stay tuned for more changes, coming soon I'm sure.

No comments: