Thursday, September 26, 2013

The Memorial

A co-worker passed away late last week from a heart attack.  He was a pretty good guy.  He always went out of his way to help me and did it in a timely fashion.  Most everyone else you have to beg for help.

They had his memorial service today and I went.  It was a pretty rough one.  He was obviously loved by his family.  I am however doomed to be a social misfit.  I thought I had outgrown that urge to sit by myself at lunch back in high school but apparently not.  I just do not know what to say or do in these situations.  The youngest of the three of us brothers is pretty good in those situations.  The middle brother is more like me although he handles it better.  He just doesn't talk, where as I have some irritating need to comment like a huge nerd with tourrettes.

I don't like memorial services as I know most don't but this one was particularly difficult because of the level of emotion displayed.  I felt almost voyeuristic being there.  As uncomfortable as it was I'm glad I went to pay my respects.  They had a pretty touching slideshow playing and at first it was a shock to walk in and see Robin's face and realizing that was it.  It was nice to see how much he was loved.

No comments: