Tuesday, May 9, 2006

The Lorraine Hotel


Lisa came to visit this past weekend. We had a great time and squeezed a ton of stuff into five days. I'll try to get to all of the stuff over time, just so I'll remember everything we did. We went to Memphis to check out Graceland but ended up seeing a landmark more powerful and one that for some reason I hadn't expected. Lee and I were walking around the Beale Street area downtown and a few blocks up we saw a sign for the National Civil Rights Museum. As we walked down the hill in the direction the sign indicated we approached a hotel. It was slow to register but the pieces started to fall into place. I began to realize that I was looking at the hotel where Martin Luther King Jr. was assasinated. I can't explain why but coming to me the way it did seemed very appropriate, it came to me in a surreal chain of awareness. The museum is on a preserved city block and the hotel looks just like the famous picture just from a different angle. It was an overwhelming feeling to be standing on the spot where someone I've always admired was slain for standing up for what he believed. It was sad and powerful and it stuck with me the rest of the weekend and still does.

No comments: