Monday, May 29, 2006

Good T.V.

Aside from my motorcycle trip on this holiday weekend, I've become hooked on a couple of shows. The first one will be obvious to anyone familiar with my musical tastes. I'm enthralled by Supergroup on VH1. Right now after 2 episodes it's made me laugh out loud more than any sitcom in the last few years has. If you haven't seen it, it's five of yesterday's (or yesteryear's) rockstars living in a house for 12 days. At the end of the 12 days they have to perform a concert with original songs. The members are Ted Nugent, Scott Ian of Anthrax, Jason Bonham, Sebastian Bach of Skid Row fame (or infamy) and Evan Seinfeld from Biohazard. It's just slightly less contrived than a sitcom and probably as scripted as any "reality show" but that doesn't take away from the hilarity. Since I don't like reality shows anyway I take it for what it is. As an example it seems that Scott Ian has a slight man crush on the Motorcity Madman. In one scene Scott and Ted jam together while the gentle strains of Queen's song You're My Best Friend plays in the background. Classic. I'm a little disappointed that with all the ego's vying for attention Ted Nugent isn't sticking out. Next to Sebastian Bach and Evan Seinfeld, Ted's just your funny eccentric Uncle.

My other current favorite is on the opposite end of the spectrum, The Dog Whisperer. I think I'm coming a little late to the party but that's okay. This show is like one of my old favorites, The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross. Like that show there's nothing to it, it seems to be the same thing every episode and I can't stop watching. Like Bob Ross, Cesar Millan is a living breathing quaalude to me. It amazes me that with just his calm demeanor and a gentle boot to the ass he turns a raving mad Chihuahua into his docile bitch. My favorite episode had to be the one with the squirrel killer terrier, in about ten minutes Cesar, the dog, a guinea pig and a rabbit are laying together on the lawn. Now that's good t.v.

I'm sure that, my attention span being what it is, I'll loose interest in these two shows in a few weeks. I don't watch much television to begin with. If they want to hold my interest maybe some programming genius should combine Supergroup and Dog Whisperer. I'd like to see Cesar Millan go head to head with Ted Nugent.

No comments: