Sunday, November 20, 2005

Crawford Texas

Crawford Texas
Crawford Texas,
originally uploaded by briankeithglass.
I rode the bike to Crawford yesterday. It's about a 70 mile round trip from where I'm staying in Gatesville. This area is the "hill country" of Texas and it's much more pleasant than the panhandle. That's the part of the state I've been through the most. It's still pretty desolate here and the onset of winter isn't helping. Even though it got up to 70 yesterday the trees are bare and the grass is brown. It's a lot like my least favorite time of the year in Ohio, but in Ohio you get the snow to occasionally cover up the ugliness.

Crawford is a nice little place. I'm not sure if I missed the down town area or not. I think I covered it all, which makes it one small town. Like the caption of the picture says, everyone I met was friendly. Admittedly, I didn't meet too many people but I did drive past the same guy twice and he waved at me both times. If that had been me I might have waved once but than thought to myself, "What's this moron doing?" the second time. He smiled both times too. An older couple took the picture for me. They were stopped also taking a picture. When I stopped on the bike the wife seemed a little nervous until I identified the subject of their picture as Flat Stanley. They were taking a picture of him for their grandson. She was pleasantly surprised to find out I was familiar with him. Flat Stanely is a paper doll school children send to family members living in different states. The family member takes a picture of Stanley in front of some monument or landmark and sends the picture and a little information back with Stanley. I got Stanley from my niece while I was on Wake Island. I think she smoked the competition in the distance catagory. But I digress.

Yeah, so Crawford, small, not very pretty (this time of the year anyway) and super friendly.

No comments: