Thursday, November 17, 2005

All We Need Is Some Ice Cream And A Hug

rotten tomato head
rotten tomato head,
originally uploaded by christyscherrer.
I was browsing on Flikr when I came across this picture in one of the groups I'm in, Emotional Faces. I wanted to write a comment but I'm still not all that comfortable posting to other people's pictures. It seems most of the time it's friends and family postings. Plus I'm getting out of the stage in my life where I enjoy getting in to a pissing contest with someone I don't know over something I can't convince them of. I thought the comment that went with the picture was interesting though. The woman, the mother to one or both of the girls I guess, is concerned about the strife and worry we are passing on to our children. She suffers because we are teaching anxiety at an early age. (Here's the part where I sound like an ass) I think she's the one teaching that anxiety. There has been something that's bothered me since 9/11 and the Iraq war that I haven't been able to put my finger on but this picture has helped me narrow it down. The problem is over reaction. I'm not saying these aren't serious times we live in but it isn't (necessarily) the end of the world. How about instead of taking your kids to a demonstration of something you have no control over, play with them at the local park, maybe you can even pick up the litter or do some other volunteer work to teach them civic responsibility.

I remember watching the made for t.v. movie The Day After about the after effects of nuclear war. I wasn't able to sleep for two nights and I was freakin' 18 at the time. It had an affect on my for years after. I think it was one of the reasons I joined the Air Force. After the collapse of the USSR I started relaxing a little, but just.

I don't mean to belittle this woman but when I read this I thought of Reverend Lovejoy's wife wailing, "Oh! won't someone please think of the children". Not to mention the sign looks like a too cutesy idea some adult thought up.

I'm not suggesting everyone have the same devil may care attitude I exhibit towards the collapse of civilization but maybe moms everywhere should help their kids paint a lemonade stand sign and just let them be kids for a few more years.

No comments: