Thursday, April 15, 2010

Overdoing A Good Thing

I know I just did this a few weeks ago but the iTunes is really picking up it's game on the shuffle function. So far I've had:

John The Revelator - Son House. I went through a blues phase a few years ago after a motorcycle trip to Clarksdale Mississippi. This is a crazy a capella song and not the type of thing I usually listen to but I love it.
Have A Drink On Me - AC/DC. The other end of the spectrum. A classic in it's own right.
What Are We Waiting For - The Yayhoos. A group with Dan Baird, whom I didn't appreciate until long after the Georgia Satellites were no more. I love that they give a shout out to Jackie Gleason.
Oh Sherrie - Steve Perry. This may come off as gay but if I could have anyone's voice it would be Steve Perry's.
Just Can't Wait - J. Geils Band. The first 8 track I ever bought was "Love Stinks".
Slide Devil Man Slide - Popa Chubby. I can't remember where I first heard this song. I probably had an immature attraction to Popa's name. This is some crazy slide guitar with the whole "crossroads" theme of the devil and a young boy.
Train In Vain - The Clash. This is from the more recent "Live: From Here To Eternity" album. These guys would have been something to see live.
Killing Floor - Howling Wolf. There for awhile I was playing from my blues playlist. I got this at the same time as Son House. I knew Howling Wolf from the ZZ Top song. I figured if he's good enough for ZZ he's good enough for me.
Hurtin' Kind (I Got My Eyes On You) - Robert Plant. I saw Robert on tour for this album with my brother. One of the great memories of my life.
Life By The Drop - Stevie Ray Vaughn. This one got me started tonight. This is from his last album. I think of all the great music we missed out on and it makes me sad. I usually don't give a rat's ass about dead celebrities but I really miss Stevie.
Headknocker - Foreigner. You can't beat the lyrics, "He drives a 57 coupe and walks with a stoop".
Land Of Confusion - Disturbed. From what I understand I probably wouldn't like the rest of their stuff. I'm sure when they came out with this song it was about Bush and the war and such. Seems quaint now.
Con Alma - Dizzy Gillespie. I should mention that I was going through a jazz period around the same time as my blues phase. I don't know enough about the intricacies of syncopation and such but even I can tell this guy had it going on.
Hurdy Gurdy Man - Donovan. Bought because I heard it had a wicked Jimmy Page solo. I almost can't sit through the first part to get there though. Maybe some LSD would help?
Moody Blue - Elvis Presley. "Tell me, am I getting through?" IT'S THE KING BABY!!!

Thanks for indulging my list. I don't really have anyone to talk to about music anymore and I think it's why I'm so cranky about the current state of America. Well, that and the current state is kinda messed up these days.

2 comments:

Gary said...

Not overdone at all; I love these lists. I hadn't listened to, or even thought about "Headknocker" for about 20 years; that was fun to go back to. "Just Can't Wait" is one of my favorite tunes; great handclaps. And gotta love the Yayhoos love ( I never even knew that was a Gleason shout-out in there).
As for songs I hadn't heard before :that "John The Revelator" is fantastic. I don't kn ow much about the blues, but this makes me feel kinda tingly. While searching for it on Rhapsody I found a ton of other versions (Doyle Lawson, Depeche Mode, John Mellencamp...) I perused a few but on a quick listen none of them sounded near this vital.

Keep 'em coming!

Brian said...

Glad you enjoyed this one too Gary. I'm especially proud that I had a hand in making you feel tingly (if only indirectly). Since Lisa started night school I get a chance to listen to music more. I didn't realize how much I missed it. I'm going to have to do some more exploring on iTunes.

It's interesting to know all the covers of John The Revelator.