Thursday, April 1, 2010

A Little Change Of Pace

I was just doing some of those Living Social "Pick Five"things and listening to iTunes and thought I would do a list of the songs I've listened to tonight. It's been a rare, care free night this evening. Something that doesn't happen too much lately and one that comes at the price of shirking my laundry responsibilities. So in no particular order here are some songs on my iTunes:

On An Island - David Gilmore. Not quite Pink Floyd but close enough.
Easy Street - David Lee Roth. Remember "Crazy From The Heat". Remember when your favorite band breaking up was your biggest worry?
Love Removal Machine - The Cult. I remember when my brother discovered The Cult and I received mix tapes of them and the Replacements during Desert Storm.
Mercury Blues - David Lindley. Purchased on the recommendation of Joe Satriani from his iTunes play list. Do they still have celebrity play lists? Anyway, this version is better then Alan Jackson's (nothing against Alan, this just has a better guitar solo).
92 Subaru - Fountains of Wayne. These guys should be bigger than they are I think. I was driving in Wayne, New Jersey once and passed a store that sold bird baths and fountains for lawns. It's name was Fountains of Wayne. I don't know anything about the band but I'm guessing they are from New Jersey.
Stay With Me - Faces. Man, I really miss good old fashioned rock and roll. There's no way I could have predicted that I would be pining for Rod Stewart's scratchy voice 30 years later.
Oh La La - Faces. I never really heard this song until a few years ago in that ad for something, printers I think. I really like it.
Dance Dance - Fallout Boy. Something newer. I feel like a sad little emo girl when I listen to this. Oh well, my tastes have always been suspect anyway.
Say What You Will - Fastway. Old school bitch!!!
Immigrant Song - I'll never forget how cool I thought it was that a song title had the word song in it. Man I was a stupid little kid.
Kiss Me Deadly - Lita Ford. I went through puberty again because of the video.
Motorcycle Mama - Neil Young. I got it because it has motorcycle in the title. I have to confess I never got Neil's appeal. the song is okay.
All The Way From Memphis - Mott The Hoople. Reminds me of our trips to Memphis and how lucky I got to grow up during the greatest period of rock music ever, the 70's.
Hair Of The Dog - Nazareth. What can I say, the first song I ever heard on the radio that included the phrase "son of a bitch". I thought that was bad ass.
Baby Please Don't Go - Muddy Waters. If you know me you were probably expecting Ted Nugent or AC/DC.
Van Halen - Nerf Herder. a punk band catches the feeling of your favorite band breaking up. See Easy Street above. They're a litte hard on Sammy though.

Ah, I love music.

3 comments:

Gary said...

Nice list, Brian. It prompted me to head to Rhapsody to check out some of the tunes I did not know. I especially liked that Fountains of Wayne song. I always like what I hear from those guys but for some reason I've never bought anything after their first one.

Brian said...

Thanks Gary. I hope you notice I'm starting to soften up on Neil a little.

Gary said...

I completely understand not "getting Neil's appeal" : I consider myself a pretty big fan and I often don't "get it" either. "Motorcycle Mama"'s not exactly one of my faves, though I gotta admit I do catch myself singing it in the car every once in awhile (OK, make that *EVERY FREAKING TIME* I pull up next to a woman on a bike).