Friday, April 9, 2010

Confessions of a Libertarian Federal Employee

Or how I learned to stop worrying and live with being a hypocrite. (Hint: It involves prodigious amounts of alcohol.)

I guess it's time for the big anti-government federal employee to explain how it all came to be. I have a high school degree and a highly specialized career. Unfortunately there are only so many ways I can go with my ability to disarm bombs. My career as a private contractor (still living off the tax payer's dime) was great except for the fact that I was married and on the road 300 days a year. When I wasn't on the road I wasn't getting paid. Now I get to be with my wife and have a steady paycheck.

There is literally not a day that goes by that I don't think of myself as a hypocrite. I don't tell the wife though because she would feel bad that I'm doing this for her and do something stupid like try to make me go back on the road. And I'm not worried about her reading it here, she's not that interested in my blog.

Don't get me wrong. I think what I do and what a lot of Federal employees do are worthwhile enough. It's just the level of waste and incompetence in so much of what goes on makes my skin crawl. It's a terrible mindset of just making due that I hope I never become accustom to (no rhyme intended). If I hadn't come in as a Libertarian I would have become one after seeing what goes on here.

So for now I'm one of the growing number of people who find themselves not producing and living off of the 53% of America that pays taxes. I hope you'll all forgive me and that the Tea Party puts me out of a job.

A little update. I just reread this after a few days and it didn't age well. I should clarify that I'm not nearly as self loathing as this post makes me appear. And I'm not self-medicating with liquor. That's just a joke.

No comments: