Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The End Of 2008

All I can say is thank God. Maybe 2009 will be better. Actually, for me that's really just a joke, so far it hasn't been that bad for us. Not economy-wise anyway. I took a pay cut to take my current job and the adjustment has been a little rough but the pay off is we have a normal life. So now I don't know if our hard times are a result of the crappy economy or my crappy pay check.

The USA Today cover story from yesterday was about American's digging deep to save money. Maybe the recession will be good for us. It seems like people are working to pay down credit card debt. It doesn't make sense to me why it's a crisis when the interest rate for credit cards is 27% but people were still charging when it was only 18%. Lisa and I have stopped eating out since we can now enjoy the thrill of making our own food. I guess luxury is a matter of perspective.

In other news Martina McBride will be performing with Elvis in a video. She'll be inserted into his comeback special. I would like to meet anyone that thinks this is a good idea. I would like to know why that person would enjoy it. I assume that there is a demand for it or they wouldn't do it. I saw Celine Dion's duet with the King on the American Idol special and it was disgusting, and it would have been even without Celine. I just don't get it.

They are also apparently killing off Bruce Wayne as Batman for a reboot. There's another term I've grown to hate over the years. Maybe curmudgeons are only people that have been around long enough to see it all come back around and think it was better the first time. Sometimes a reboot works, like James Bond (which made $70 million this weekend) or the Batman movies but now it's just getting old. From the retooled Star Wars with Greedo firing first to the new Star Trek, reboot is a fancified word for retread.

Right now things aren't looking good for the big three auto makers. I remember I was devastated when AMC disappeared in 1987. Do you remember when you were so new it seemed like everything was always there and always would be. I can't imagine that the government will let them go under. GMC has $16 billion in operating cash which they estimate will last until sometime next year so $25 billion split three ways won't help for long. When I was young I also didn't think I would be around to see the fall of the US as the world's financial leader either. Hopefully I'm just over reacting and they'll all be able to turn it around, just like Chrysler under Lee Iacocca and Harley Davidson after AMF Voight did.

And finally the Simpsons featured the New York Times crossword puzzle in last Sunday's episode, which I found odd.

No comments: