Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Sex, Drugs, and Rock & Roll...Well Rock and...Nevermind

I just got back from home leave in Denver tonight. I was there for a week and a half but it felt like a year (in a good way). The first night in town I went to get Lisa from work and was thinking it would be nice to do something to get out. I had a movie or dinner in mind. Lisa gets to the truck and wants to know if I want to see a concert. "Why not" I answered. Big mistake, as the first thing I should have said was "Who is it?" She said Rob Thomas, for some reason I heard Rob Zombie. Same thing I guess. Rob wasn't so bad but he had two women opening for him, one of which was Jewel. I pride myself on being a progressive male but that was just too much chick rock in one night. Really there hasn't been a woman that can rock since Lita Ford, sorry that includes you KT Tungstall. The show was alright, it was at Red Rocks which is the best place to see a concert ever. We saw Lyle Lovett there a few years ago. Towards the end of the show he had a local gospel choir doing the song Church and a thunderstorm came out over the mountains. It was pretty impressive with the lightning flashing and the thunder booming right over head.

Now I've never done drugs and didn't drink until I was 21 but I was sorely disappointed in the youth of America at this concert. Is it a sign of the boring restrictive nature of the country we live in when over half the people at a concert leave two thirds into it? Is it too much to ask for a little danger in life? I guess maybe it would be a different story if it had been Rob Zombie. At my first concert (Van Halen with David Lee Roth no less) a girl, drunk off her ass sat down on my cousin's lap, put her arm around him and promptly realized she didn't know him. We saw another girl fall from one level to smack on the concrete floor below and get hauled off on a stretcher. I suppose these things still go on, I know they do at the Avalanche hockey games. And I know for a fact that I'm romanticizing it. Let's face it I haven't enjoyed a late night out since I was 30. I guess you're not really going to get chicks lifting their tops for Jewel, still wouldn't that be cool? As far as I can tell from Dateline exposés is the youth of America are even wilder than when I was a teen, it's just now they have to travel to Cancun to do it. I don't want to encourage reckless behavior (especially to any teenaged nieces who might read this). Looking back now, it probably wasn't even that fun when I was a teenager. After all, like I said, I didn't take drugs or get drunk. For me it was more like being on a safari, I never knew when some drunk gorilla would come out of the fog of all those joints and kick my Eric-Foreman-ass. I was living vicariously through my stoner friends misadventures, and it sure was fun watching the look in Jim's eyes when that girl sat down and ran her fingers through his hair.

No comments: