Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Regret

Tuesday got off to a bad start. I had some words with a co-worker. We UXO techs tend to wear our emotions on our sleeve and most of my fellow Shaw employees are close enough friends that we don't hold a grudge. We vent and get over it later. I was pretty pissed though. I took off to run some errands and went into Conway. At the intersection by Walmart there sat a car broke down in the middle of traffic. The woman was waving people around and I got into the turning lane and went into the Walmart. I stop to help people quite a bit. Just last weekend on the trip to Clarksdale I stopped to help two guys. Well, I was still angry and the crappy Conway drivers didn't help. I get into this self-feeding rage.

I stopped at the edge of the lot trying to decide whether to go help the woman. I remember thinking at the time that she would probably feel better just having someone offer assistance. I finally convinced myself that she would be fine, after all in that situation I would be fine. I went in, picked up the supplies and headed out. I had put it out of my mind trying to remember the items I needed (memories going quick, but that's for another time, if I remember). As I went through the light there were now two police cars assisting the woman. I got a better look at her, she was an older woman, probably in her mid to late fifties, someone's grandma. I could see her red, puffy eyes from across the lane of traffic between us. It hit me hard right than and now the only person I was mad at was myself. I would be for the rest of the day too. I think I'll make an effort to stop and help when I have the chance.

2 comments:

My Boring Best said...

That's a tough decision to make at times, but I think you're right. People should stop to help.

You're a good guy. I'm glad you're out there.

Brian said...

Thanks Jim, I have to say I didn't feel like a good guy that day.

By the way, I've been experincing trouble viewing your blog. I'm using a Mac iBook with Safari and when I go to your site it crashes the browser. It does it with the IE for Mac also. I thought I'd let you know so I can catch up on your posts.