Friday, May 20, 2005

Pop Culture 101 Dropout

I spent some of the day watching the first year's episodes of the Sopranos on DVD. I'm kind of enjoying it. I've only seen a few episodes before this. It was always too big with everyone. I'm always suspicious of the next big thing. I didn't even like the Simpsons for the first 3 seasons. There was an A-10 pilot in our squadron who had the call sign Bartman. He was the epitome of the Top Gun cliché. He actually carried a little battery operated blender (for making margaritas) around with him. I figured anything this jackass thought was cool had to be suspect. It's funny what we use to define our tastes. For years I hated Neil Young just because of "Sweet Home Alabama". Today I hate him for a whole other list of reasons but that's beside the point.
I am currently ignoring the pop culture phenomenons, Desperate Housewives and Lost. I've actually seen a few episodes of Lost but I don't like to get attached to a series. I hate missing one show and being behind. Or worse yet, your favorite show gets cancelled. I loved Firefly.
So to sum up I have not seen this season's American Idol, didn't know it was pronounced Fiddy, don't care that Tom Cruise is dating Katie Holmes, and I'm not quite sure who Katie Holmes is. In other words I'm working on becoming an old curmudgeon.

No comments: