Friday, August 2, 2013

Songs

I love doing this, I haven't done it in awhile so it's about time for a new one.

iTunes shuffle

When Doves Cry - Prince.  Even when I was too cool for Michael Jackson and pretty much anything not Van Halen I knew Prince was the Man.
My Love Is A Rock - REO Speedwagon.  Honestly I probably loved REO much longer than I should have, this is from the first album without Gary Richrath.  Kevin's voice always moves me but this is where I should have stopped.
Hug You, Squeeze You - Stevie Ray Vaughn.  This is off of one of the thousand compilations that have come out after his death.  I don't know how old it is but it seems from early times, more simple and pure than later stuff.
Sittin' On Top Of The World - Van Morrison and Carl Perkins.  Man I don't pay enough respect to Van Morrison's voice.
More Than I Can Do - Steve Earle.  Used to love him until he went bat shit crazy and decided Al Qaeda were really decent blokes but misundertood.  I always thought this peppy little tune about an obsessed stalker was creepy and clever.
I Wanna Be Your Lover - Prince.  What did I do to deserve two Prince songs in one sitting?  This is old, old school.  I remember this came out around the same time as Off the Wall and like I said earlier, I knew Prince was cooler.  I have a very distinct memory of walking around the department store in Martinsville Indiana as a young boy looking at the cover for this 45 and wishing I had the money for it.
Ask The Lonely - Journey.  Not one of my favorite Journey songs but come on, it's Steve Perry and I think we all know how I feel about Steve Perry.
You Know My Name - Chris Cornell.  A little newer than most of my stuff.  One of my favorite rock voices.  I've always liked him better than any band he's been in.
Over You - ZZ Top.  Really new for me but it's ZZ Top.  From the 2012 EP Texicali.  Like their old stuff before the videos but bluesier and better.  Makes me wish I wasn't on a diet, I'd be drinking whiskey right now.
Hunt You Down - The Yayhoos.  I can literally see Dan Baird pointing at his chest with his thumbs on the line "You can't get away from this guy". 
Baby Did A Bad Bad Thing - Chris Isaak.  God that stupid video robbed me of the pleasure of Chris Isaak's voice for a decade.  Stupid supermodels.
Need A Man Blues - Donna Summers.  Where the hell did this come from?
Don't Look Back - Robert Plant.  A "bonus" tune from the digital download of Manic Nirvana not included on the original album with good reason.
Tumbling Dice - Rolling Stones.  I really have to be in the mood for the Stones.  Right now I am.
Body Talk - Ratt.  What?  It's off a compilation disc.
Poncho and Lefty - Townes Van Zandt.  I don't know.  Townes wasn't my thing back in the day but I guess when you get old he's the kind of guy whose name you drop when you want to sound hip.  Plus I like the song.
Does Your Mother Know - Abba.  You know when I was young this was the only Abba song I liked because in my little, young mind I thought it rocked.  Just seems creepy now.
Up For Breakfast - Van Halen.  Like REO Speedwagon I just didn't know when to stop while I was ahead.
Learning To Fly - Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers.  My second favorite song titled "Learning To Fly" right after Pink Floyd's song.
Winning - Santana.  I think this is the only Santana song I like.  I don't know who's singing but I like him a lot better than Rob Thomas.
I'm The Slime - Frank Zappa.  I don't know that I can add anything.  Frank was weird in the same way George Carlin was.
Shake It Up - The Cars.  Can you not feel good when you hear this song?
Since You Been Gone - Kelly Clarkson.  I just realized the women are woefully under-represented (as usual).  I know she's probably a symbol of all that's wrong with corporate music but I think she's cute and has a pretty voice.  I'm an old man, I can have bad taste in music now.
Just Got Paid - ZZ Top.  Let's go out on a classic.

3 comments:

Gary said...

Thanks Brian, I love these! I learned a couple things : Van Morrison recorded with Carl Perkins, which is very cool, and Van Halen has a song named "Up For Breakfast", which is just silly.

Brian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian said...

The Van Morrison/Carl Perkins duet is off "Good Rockin'Tonight; The Legacy Of Sun Records". John Mellencamp did a version of Jail House Rock that caused me to look at that song in an entirely different way.