Tuesday, June 30, 2009

"Current Trends"

As is my style, I've got in to the latest trend, Twitter. If you think of a trend as a wave I would be ankle deep heading out to sea as the surfboards plowed toward me, such is my timing. That's okay though, the world needs us old, out of touch guys to make cool trends uncool so the hip people can move on to the next big thing. Oh well, at least I'm not calling it "the twitter".

I'm following a few celebrities (I guess you would call Brent Spiner a celebrity). They are amusing for the most part. I'm following both Penn and Teller. Jim Gaffigan has some pretty funny one liners and unlike a lot of the stand up comedians keeps the promotional stuff to a minimum. Going back to Brent Spiner, Star Trek: The Next Generation's Data, he strikes me as this generations Adam West or even William Shatner. A guy trapped by a role who's struggling to leave it behind but at the same time needing the notoriety it brings. At first glance his twits (tweets?) are funny but after reading several he seems a little weird and I think he may be making up questions people ask him so he can respond with pithy comments. That is shear speculation on my part however. He did get into a minor "verbal" volley with some weird anti-celebrity conspiracy nut (not me) for a day that was fairly amusing in a sad pathetic Joe Rogan kind of way.

Right now I'm enjoying Twitter but I've got a lot on the old plate so we'll see how long I can follow such a disposable medium.

No comments: