Sunday, April 8, 2007

Geo-Tagging

I've just discovered the joy of geo-tagging on Flickr.com. It's a pretty cool feature that let's you place your photos on a Yahoo map. I've spent the last few Saturdays putting some 400 photos on maps. It's a pretty neat thing for a couple of different reasons. First, I'm a map and satellite nerd. I've mentioned before that I love to read maps but I really love to look at satellite photos. The pictures from our trip to Moab and Colorado National Monument look fantastic from above. I spent a lot of time getting the photos as close to the spot they were taken as possible. In one case I could see the parking lot I took the photo in right down to the concrete stops. I don't know why but I love that shit. How cool would it be if I had actually been sitting in the parking lot when the plane or satellite or whatever it is flew over.

It gave me a new reason to look at the old photos. I like to go back and look at old pictures all the time anyway but this helped give it a fresh spin. In a lot of cases I would drag the map along a road to find the specific spot. It was almost like taking the trip all over again, like in the case of our trip to Canyonlands. I really like the Camp Hale, Colorado photos. It's like the anatomy of a worksite.

You can also browse a map for other people's photos taken in the same spot. I saw some pictures taken in Vieques with a few people I recognized in them. I also saw a fellow Flickrite from Zanesville, It looks like there's only one though.

If you have a chance check out my photos and if you're on Flickr get busy geo-tagging.

No comments: