Saturday, August 6, 2005

Where The Wild Mullet Roams

The more I travel around the U.S. the more I've started thinking about the character of a city, state or just a general place or area. San Francisco is probably one of my favorite cities if not the most favorite. I couldn't explain why. It's a friendly low keyed place mostly. Plus I stay away from the crazy liberals that run amok there. The only real asses there are the transplanted New Yorkers. Speaking of New York, it gets a little less annoying everytime I visit there. It's starting to grow on me. Every place we've been has it's own unique personality. Around Mt Arlington, New Jersey it's kind of a split personality. Heavily wooded with lakes and wildlife (even bears) it's also crowded with people and criss-crossed with high speed roads. Alabama, Tennesse, and western Georgia are a lot like Ohio. Hilly, green and humid in the summer. They don't get much snow but are cold and raining in the winter. Alaska is really part of the US in name only. You almost can't help but fall out of touch with things that go on in the lower 48. There is a suprisingly high number of houses with no indoor plumbing. Every place I've been has it's own charm and I've usually been able to find something to like. Which brings me to Utah. At least the area we're in now. This western part is bleak, dirty and more than a little creepy. Lisa and I have been talking about it a lot lately. Lisa has always been a little fearless when it comes to camping in the mountains in Colorado but she's admitted that the hills around here make her a little uneasy. We haven't really been able to put our finger on it. I think it might be a throw back to the frontier days. The people seem to be hard, and suspicious of outsiders. There's also a certain "The Hills Have Eyes" quality. It's the kind of country you could find Charles Starkweather and Caril Fugate joy riding across. It's actually pretty darn close to where they did go on their infamous joy ride.

There is also a lot of Zanesville in Salt Lake City. Lot's of flannel, rusty muscle cars, and yes long hair of every style. I haven't seen any yet but I'm waiting for an Iron Maiden concert t-shirt to rear it's ugly head. The traffic is counter-intuitive. There are five lanes on the northern stretch of I-15 with every car doing the speed limit. It's very frustrating. I've been in bad traffic before but you learn to take it for what it is and deal with it on your own terms. Here you are just locked in to place.

I hate to sound down on Utah, I love Moab, and the Timpanogos Cave. I'm looking forward to seeing Bryce Canyon. I just haven't found that one thing that charms me about western Utah yet. I'll probably miss it when I leave though.

No comments: